My 2014 Travel Destination Map – Ready to Pack up And Leave (with me?)
These places are where I want to touch down and visit, shoot pics, negotiate sweetheart deals and scrutinize for photo ops. There’s a lot more cool places on earth to visit, but you’ve got to start somewhere, right?
Travel Destinations That Will Change Your Life
1. Mirny Diamond Mine – Eastern Siberia, Russia — Apparently this is the world’s second largest man-made hole. I think I’d better find where the first is.
That huge hole in the earth looks gigantic from where I’m sitting.
But how on earth would you photograph this massive drain plug?
I’m more orientated towards monster-sized industrial, architectural and urban photography environments. Give me cranes, machinery and large machines and you have won me. Having said that, if they have a nearby green belt then that is good too.
2. Sanzhi UFO Houses – San Zhi, Taiwan
Been thinking about it. Pondering over Google Earth. Not sure if the UFO houses (above) would justify the whole trip. But if I was nearby, it could be done. They look surreal from above, like little colored medicine tablets you could pick off and pluck into your mouth.
Taiwan is highly on my bend over backwards list of places to photograph.
The strike throughs are locations I’ve been already.
3. Aniva Rock Lighthouse – Sakhalinskaya Oblast, Russia — Difficult to get access to… from what I can see.
4. Hashima Island, Japan — YES, this place is do-able.
5. Wreck of the SS America – Fuerteventura, Canary Islands — All in good time.
6. Underwater City – Shicheng, China — A nice dream, but the whole place has been under water since the Xin’an River Hydro Plant flooded the area 53 years ago. Still, would be nice. (Bring diving gear).
Qiandao Lake, known for its clear, and sometimes drinkable water, is used to produce the renowned Nongfu Spring brand of mineral water. It is also home to lush forests (over 90%), and exotic islands. Its more popular attractions include Bird Island, Snake Island, Monkey Island, Lock Island (featuring supposedly the world’s biggest lock), and the Island to Remind You of Your Childhood — source Wikipedia
The whole Zhejiang, China area looks uber-interesting too. I’ll need footwear that can deal with spending time in water. :o)
7. Red Sands Sea Forts – Sealand, United Kingdom — From what I know, these forts were built during World War II to protect the River Thames. Apparently some have been claimed by Sealand, a micronation off the shore of England.
Chiang Mai, Thailand
10. Paris, France
11. Bangladesh ship breaking photos (Chittagong, Bangladesh)
Kumbh Mela, Varanasi, India (LOVE India, will be back. Not flying into Delhi though…)
14. Inner Mongolia
Meghalaya / Guwahati / Assam – India
Luang Prabang, Laos — See images below:
— Above, a Russian jeep in Luang Prabang, Laos
— Above, your author in Luang Prabang, Laos
Current Photography Project #1
18. CHINA — Hainan/Sanya / Kunming / Nanning = green city (tropical)
Qinghai – Tibet railway (2000 KM) includes Tanggula Pass, which, at 5000 metres is the world’s highest railway.
I will get some map work drawn up about this trip and add it in here.
Other Important Stuff To Keep In Mind
— New Zealand
Top Cities In The World
— San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
— Budapest, Hungary
— Florence, Italy
— Salzburg, Austria
— Charleston, South Carolina
— San Sebastiån, Spain
— Vienna, Austria
— Siena, Italy
— Qüebec City
These cities make the list too:
— Krakøw; Beirut; Capetown; Prague; Kyoto, Seville (Spain); Vancouver
Extreme Climate Risk Countries
Dhaka, Mumbai, Manila, Kolkata, Bangkok 🙁